Duffus Kirk

Duffus Kirk, Hopeman Road, Duffus, IV30 5RR

From the South
Take the B9012 road from Elgin into the village of Duffus. The Kirk can be found on the northern side of the road at the western edge of the village.
From the West
Follow the B9012 through Burghead and Hopeman towards Elgin. The Kirk can be found at the beginning of Duffus village on the northern side of the road.

Directions on a map
Duffus Kirk in Sunset
Rose Window in Duffus Kirk

In the west gable of Duffus Kirk there is a stained glass rose window. The central pulpit is on the east wall.The congregation also owns a silver patten (or plate) for use at communion dated 1616 which was found in a church in Hove and restored to the congregation in 1925 by the late Sir Edward Dunbar. It is now held by the National Museum of Scotland in Chambers Street, Edinburgh.

The kirk was dedicated in 1869 to replace the old Peter Kirk (founded in the 12th century) on the road to Gordonstoun being in need of repair and no longer in the village.The original parish stretched from the gates of the present-day Gordonstoun School to Burghead.(There was a loft at the west of the Peter Kirk set aside for the fisherfolk of Burghead.) Burghead later had a Chapel of Ease which, in time, became the Parish Church in its own right.

Inside Duffus Kirk
Remains of St Peter Kirk

For further information about the history of the Kirk and it's ministers, visit duffus.com

More Details